Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Even the Sparrow

I have spent a lot of time praying for our little angel over the last few days, and I always end up having way more to pray about than I thought I would. When I start praying, my intention is to ask the Lord to please, please watch over our little one, and if he/she is not born yet, then to please surround his/her birth mother with protective angels. Inevitably, this leads to prayer for his/her birth family, and the care givers at the orphanage where he/she will stay until we bring our baby home and for the court system, that God would grant them wisdom in placing our child, and most of all, for our little one to be kept safe and healthy while waiting for us to bring him/her home. 

By the time I am finished praying, I have covered a lot more ground than I thought I would, and then it dawns on me just how incredibly sovereign God is. I fast forward to the day that our little angel comes home with us, and I am overwhelmed by how many things had to go a certain way for him/her to even end up in our arms. In that moment, I am reminded that God is not some distant figure who dwells up in the heavens, unconcerned with our lives. He is quite the opposite. God is involved in every aspect of our lives. He is the One who allows every little detail in our lives to transpire, and He is the One who prevents all sorts of unknown evils from overcoming us on a daily basis. We serve a great big God! 

God is not only involved in our lives, He is actually invested in the outcome. He wants good things for His children. Sometimes it is easy to think that we are insignificant and that God does not notice us or have time for us. But nothing could be further from the truth. He has His heavenly eye set right on each of us and is concerned with and sovereign over our every move. Oh, He loves us so much more than we can imagine!

My mind goes to Matthew 10:29-31: "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." 

God is big enough to care for each of us and powerful enough to watch over and manage each of our lives. This is a huge source of comfort for me as we wait to have our child home with us. If I did not know God and did not know how infinitely wise and powerful He is, I am not sure that I would have the strength of will to adopt. In fact, I am pretty sure that I would not, because there are just so, so many "what ifs?" I think I would drive myself crazy trying to work through all of the possible scenarios in my mind. But instead, only by the grace of my Lord, I am able (with His help) to rest in the fact that the Lord already knows exactly who our little angel is and exactly how he/she will come to us. Praise God for that comfort. Without it, I would be driving myself crazy. But with it, I am filled with God's peace, because I know that He loves our child far better than we will ever be able to. 

"Even the sparrow finds a home." Psalm 84:3

Love, 
Baylor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...