Saturday, August 3, 2013

That Was a Training Run?

I kind of can't believe what happened this morning.

Marathon training is most definitely in fully swing these days, and that reality became apparent when I did a 13 mile training run this morning. For every other race I have run, 13 miles has been the GOAL, the thing I was working toward. But today, 13 miles became just a step on the way to a new and bigger goal. It was pretty surreal, especially after I passed the 10 mile mark. It just kept hitting me over and over that I was running the farthest I have ever run and I still have two months left of building up before the actual race.

And I couldn't get over how much all of that reflected exactly what God likes to do in our lives. He allows us to go through circumstances that cause us to work and grow, and He does that so that we will be prepared for what is coming next. My marathon training would be a lot more difficult if I had not done prior training for those other two races. And so when I look at what God has us going through right now, I honestly believe that all of this is preparing us for something incredible. I have no idea what it is, but I know it will be huge. Just like all of this training; it takes time and effort and it can really hurt, but if I didn't do it, there is NO way I would be able to cross the finish line in Chicago in October. It is the same in our life right now; if we were not going through all of the ups and downs that accompany this adoption, then we would not be ready for whatever is coming after that.

And so in that way, it is a good thing. In that way, I can do it.

The sad part of today's run was that no one was lining the streets cheering, no one set up water stops, and there was no big finish line with music and orange slices when I got back to my car. Kind of a letdown. HA! Kidding!

Training is about to get real, though. From now on, every single long run (up until the weekend before the race) will be farther than I have ever run. So as each week builds, I will be presented with a new challenge. Eeeeeek! I hope I can make it!

And lastly, a HUGE thank you to Mrs. Lofton and my dear sweet husband for donating to my fundraising efforts! We are officially at the halfway mark! That means we have provided clean water FOR LIFE for 13 people! Yay!

Love,
Baylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...