Thursday, August 22, 2013

Thankful for Big Daddy

You know that on Thursdays I try to write about something or someone for which I am thankful. Well, I had no trouble coming up with someone to write about today.

I am writing today with both a joyful and heavy heart. We spent today celebrating the life of a wonderful man. Adam's grandfather, a man I know only as Big Daddy, went to be with Jesus this week, and today our whole family shared in a celebration of his beautiful life. Big Daddy was 94 years old when our gracious Heavenly Father called him home, and I can say with certainty that this incredible man used all of his years to bring honor and glory to the Lord. I know that this week he heard the words every follower of Christ longs to hear.

"Well done, my good and faithful servant!"

With those beautiful words, our gracious Father welcomed Big Daddy home.

As I was sitting in the church this morning, surrounded by a family I love so much, I was thinking about what I would say to Big Daddy if I could have the privilege of one more conversation with him. And I know exactly what it would be.

"Thank you. Thank you, Big Daddy, for being a man who honors Christ above all else, who not only believes that God is real, but has a real relationship with Him. Thank you for raising your children to love the Lord and to seek to honor Him with their lives. In doing so, you raised the woman who raised my own husband. And because of you, the man I love knows the Lord. Because of you, I have the deep honor of being part of a family who knows and follows Jesus. When this whole family is together, I look around and am truly amazed that everyone I see knows and trusts Jesus. That is because of you. Thank you for seeking Christ always, even when it was difficult. Thank you for teaching you grandson, my husband, to do the same. I know that he will teach our children to seek Christ, just as you taught him. Thank you for that. Thank you for laying the foundation that will lead to my husband leading our family the way you have led yours. I have been blessed by knowing you, and I look forward to sharing with my children our family's legacy. Starting with you."

My heart is full, yet aching today as we celebrate the "home going" of an incredible man. I love you, Big Daddy. I always will.

Love,
Baylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...