Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day Tribute

Father's Day. This is one of my favorite days of the year and for a few different reasons. First, the holiday gives me an excuse to call my own dad and tell him how much I love him and how incredibly wonderful he is (more on that in a minute). Secondly, it is a day that focuses on honoring the men God has ordained and appointed as leaders of families across the country and around the world. And thirdly (and this one is new), today affords me an extra opportunity to look forward, with GREAT anticipation, to seeing what an amazing and Godly father my sweet husband will become at the end of this adoption journey. So, needless to say, today is a wonderful day. 


I want to take a moment to share a little bit of my heart about my own sweet dad. And as soon as I type those words, I realize that it is difficult to even know where to start. Growing up, my dad was the Godliest and most patient man I had ever met. His heart was, and still is, a genuine reflection of what the Lord designed dads to be. He is full of love, patience (a good thing in a house full of girls), calmness, understanding, wisdom, advice, encouragement...I could go on for pages, and I think that those who have met Brad Brewster would agree. Having him as my earthly father has been one of the greatest blessings that my Heavenly Father has ever given me. You see, throughout the Bible, God is referred to as our Father. And I am so grateful that the word "father" conjures up only images of goodness and love in my mind. The Lord knew that Adam and I would be on this adoption journey at this point in our lives, and I believe, firmly, that He gave me the dad He did for that reason. 


Let me see if I can clarify. There are days when the adoption process is moving too slowly, days when it is frustrating, days when I am worried about fingerprints or dossiers or whatever. And on those days, it can be easy to turn to the heavens and shout, "You could fix all of this, You know! You could make things go more smoothly! You could ensure that my fingerprints won't get messed up again!" It is in those moments that the Lord reminds me of Jesus' teaching in Luke 11: 


“Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” (verses 11-13)


Through this passage, the Lord reminds me that my earthly father is good and that he only ever wants what is best for me and that he would never, ever in his life, no matter what, do anything to hurt me. He then reminds me that if that is true, then He, my Heavenly Father, who is perfect in all ways, would never do anything to bring me pain or harm; His plans for me, for us, are always good, even when we don't understand them at the moment. This truth makes me incredibly grateful for my dad. Because he is so wonderful, calling the Lord my Heavenly Father means something beautiful to me, and for that I am more grateful than I can ever express. 


This Father's Day also brings a new and different feeling of joy. On this Father's Day, for the first time, we are on the way to being parents. At this time next year, there is a very good chance that we will know who our sweet one is, possibly even have met him/her. So on this day, I find myself looking forward to seeing Adam as a father. I know he will be a good one, a great one. I cannot wait to see God mold him into the dad that he was created to be, and I feel immeasurably blessed to be standing and walking side-by-side with a man who seeks to honor God in all he does. 


I hope that you all have a wonderful Father's Day, too! 


"Honor your father and your mother so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12


Love, 
Baylor 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...