Sunday, June 16, 2013

Father's Day: Looking Forward

Last year on Father's Day, I told you how wonderful my own sweet dad is. And he still is! Today, I want to take some time to talk about how much I am looking forward to watching Adam fulfill the role of father in the lives of our children. In one way this is a difficult thing for me to write about. Mostly because today marks the second Father's Day we have spent waiting in the adoption process. It is hard to be here without our children. It is hard to watch other families at church and out to lunch celebrating the very thing we long for so desperately but cannot have. So in that way, it is hard for me to write this to you today. But in another way, I find myself filled with joy, excitement and anticipation just imagining what kind of father my husband will become. I have no doubt that he will absolutely redefine what it means to be a dad.

Adam is a man who was made to work with and be around kids. He is a pediatric physical therapist by trade, and so he spends his days helping children overcome obstacles, physical, mental and emotional. I am so proud of this man and so very anxious to watch him teach and love our children. I see his gifts and strengths now (love, patience, innovation, creativity, hard work, willingness to sacrifice) and excitedly wonder how they will play out as he transitions from just husband to husband and father. I think about the first Father's Day we will be able to celebrate as a family and the joy that day will bring. I think about a day set aside to acknowledge him for the incredible job I know he will do in guiding our children, about how we will have a great excuse to tell him how much we appreciate all he is doing for us every single day, about how I see him striving to follow God's commands and exhortations for men and fathers. Yes, it is safe to say that I am ready for our first Father's Day.

And, of course, all of this points back to our Heavenly Father, the One who loved us enough to send His Son as a sacrifice so that we would not have to be separated from Him for all eternity. This one action shows us that being a father is no small duty. It is an honor, one that should be taken most seriously. Fathers sacrifice for their children. God sets the example for us, and it is a high calling. So today I am praying for the fathers of this world, that they will seek God in all they do and rise up to the challenge before them, remembering all the while that the Lord is right by their sides to strengthen sustain and guide them, just like a Father should.

"Which of you fathers if your son asks for a fish will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask of Him?"
Luke 11:11-13

Happy Father's Day!

Love,
Baylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...