Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Thing That Remains

With referrals coming so slowly these days it has been easy to get very discouraged, and on my way home from work yesterday I found myself fighting back tears. I think this is mostly because I realized that when we started this whole thing (one year ago next week), the waiting list time frame was 6-9 months for a referral. We have now been on the waiting list for 7 and a 1/2 months, so we are in the range of time when I initially thought we would be getting matched. And we are nowhere close. I know that the time frame has changed since our application, but it is still hard to think about. We have been on the list for just over seven months, and during that time we have moved 26 spots. So, if that holds over the next year, then we are looking at a whole lot of months until we are even matched. I am hoping that is not the case, but you can seen how it is easy to get discouraged. At least, I hope you can see.

So with all of this Debbie Downer-ness swirling around, it can also be easy for me to lose sight of God and the truth that He is enough. Thankfully, God does not sit around and wait for us to come to Him or recognize that He is enough. He has been reminding me that He is enough, and that has been the thing keeping me on the ground.

When I went to Created for Care with my mom a few weeks ago, the theme Scripture of the weekend was I Corinthians 13, particularly verse 13.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

The idea was that we need to love big when it comes to our adopted children. But I realized, too, that this hold true with God's love for us. He loves us in a BIG way. Easter Sunday reminded us of that.

And His love remains. It stays put all the time. Regardless of our affections, our faithfulness, our rebellion. His love stays. Once we are His children, He absolutely will not let us go. He does give up or change His mind or decide that we just are not worth the battle. His love is constant.

Because He is love.

God is the embodiment of love. He is love personified. Look at His character, His actions throughout history. He did not have to provide a way for us to be redeemed to Him. But He did. He sacrificed His Son so that we, too, could be His sons and daughters. That is the epitome of love.

As many of you know, Adam and I were on vacation with my family last week. It was absolutely wonderful (and I promise to write about it later this week). As soon as we hopped into our rental cars, my brother-in-law, Josh, pulled out a CD he had made for the trip. The entire thing was praise music, which totally made my day, and most of it I had not heard before. One of the songs especially caught my attention. You may have heard it, but it was new to me at the time.  It is called "One Thing Remains." Take a minute to listen to it.


The song is all about how God's love remains on us. No matter what happens. His love is bigger, greater, deeper, wider than anything we could ever encounter here on earth. As soon as this started playing in the car, something started happening in my heart. It was like the Lord was talking to me, reminding me that He is enough. His love is enough. He can and will carry me through this season of waiting, as hard, as impossible as it seems. I think this song does a beautiful job proclaiming the truth of God's love. It covers over everything. And that is such a sweet relief for me. To know that no matter how hard this gets ( and I am sure it will get harder ), He is right here, and He loves me.

And because God loves me with this great and powerful love, I can know beyond the shadow of any doubt that what is happening in my life is part of God's good plan.

So God has been dropping these little reminders that He is in fact enough and that He loves me. And I am so grateful to serve and love a God who sees fit to do that. He doesn't have to, but He does it anyway. And I hope this encourages you, too. Wherever you are and whatever you are doing, I hope that the knowledge that there is a God and He does truly love you brings you peace and encouragement. I hope that you know Him. Your life will never be complete without Him. And with Him, you simply cannot be defeated.

 "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 8:38-39

Love, 
Baylor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...